Phone: (816) 886-4822
Alt: (816) 842-6100
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Kansas, B.S., 1983
- Missouri, 1990
- Kansas, 1986
Principal Practice Areas:
- Corporate and Business Transactions
- Banking and Financial Services
- Real Estate
Tim is well known for his representation of buyers and sellers in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, middle-market companies, growth-oriented entrepreneurs, early stage companies and start-ups in a variety of industries. Tim has been selected by his peers as a “Super Lawyer” in the Missouri/Kansas region, which recognizes the top attorneys in that region, including the metropolitan areas of Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita and St. Louis.
Tim’s practice emphasis is assisting clients with mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, corporate finance, private offerings of securities, capital raises, real estate, business succession planning and entity selection and formation. He also assists clients with a broad range of other business matters and transactions such as: stockholder agreements; corporate governance; general contract negotiations; construction agreements; bank loans; employment agreements; service agreements; intellectual property and licensing.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships:
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City (LAKC)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth (AGC)
- Represented privately-held and publicly-held buyers and sellers in a variety of merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions ranging in value from several hundred thousand dollars to in excess of $300 million, including the following:
- Represented company in a joint venture and series of related acquisitions totaling in excess of $300 Million in aggregate purchase price; Multiple state involvement; Union negotiations; Complex environmental issues; Hart-Scott-Rodino; Transaction was financed with Private Equity; Senior Debt.
- Represented buyer in $30 Million acquisition of multiple restaurants involving multiple states and real estate, including environmental matters; Transaction financed with private equity and senior debt.
- Represented privately-held companies in formation and organization of company and numerous private placements of securities.
- Represented owners and operators with negotiation of architect agreements, construction contracts and franchise agreements.
- Represented numerous owners, operators, and developers in all aspects of commercial land development and leasing throughout the U.S.
- Outside general counsel to savings and loan.
- Outside general counsel to national restaurant chain franchisees.
- Organized and act as outside general counsel for privately held telecommunications business.
- Organi>ed and act as outside general counsel to health testing laboratory.
- Organized and act as outside general counsel to national consumer finance company.
- Organized and act as outside general counsel to distilled spirits producer, importer and distributor.
- Negotiation of executive employment and compensation agreements with relevant non-competition, non-disclosure and confidentiality terms and conditions.
- Development and negotiation of distribution and supply agreements.
- Negotiation of real estate agreements and leases.
- Maintaining A Healthy Business: Annual Company Reviews, Kansas City Small Business Monthly Entrepreneurs Guide, 2005
- Featured Guest, Heartland Business Exchange, KXTR, AM Station 1660, Kansas City, (link:www.heartlandbusinessexchg.com\TheRadioShow.aspx), October, 2007, Topic: Mergers & Acquisitions—Business Succession Planning.
- Presenter, “The Ins & Outs of Limited Liability Companies in Missouri,” National Business Institute, Kansas City, MO, January 25, 2005.
- Presenter, “Mergers & Acquisitions: An Overview & Key Issues to Consider,” Financial Executives International, Kansas City Chapter, February 9, 2004.
Honors and Awards:
Selected by peers as a Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyer, which recognizes the top lawyers in the Missouri/Kansas region, including the metropolitan areas of Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita and St. Louis; AV Preeminent Rated (Martindale Hubbell).
Lawyers Association of Kansas City (“LAKC”), Treasurer-Young Lawyers Section (1995-96), Secretary-Young Lawyers Section (1994-95), Chair, Luncheon Committee (1994-95), Co-Chair, Long Range Planning and By-Law Review Committee (1993-94), Editor-in-Chief, The Advance Sheet (1993-94), Organizer & Chair, First Annual LAKC Golf Tournament, Board of Directors, Jackson County Law Library (1992-95).
Civic, Cultural and Social Activities: Leawood Foundation, Member (1998-2002); Prairie Village Development Corporation, Director (1997-2006), Secretary/Treasurer (1999-2006); Councilman, City of Prairie Village, Kansas (1994-96); Chair, Insurance Committee; Leadership Northeast – Class of 1994, Board of Directors (1996); Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Member; Milburn Country Club, Member; University of Kansas Alumni Association, Member; Sigma Chi Alumni Association of Kansas City, President (1999-2009); Sigma Chi Alumni Chapter of Wichita, President, 1987-88, 1988-89.