Matthew L. Faul
Phone: (816) 886-4820
Alt: (816) 842-6100
- University of Texas at Austin School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of Kansas, MBA, 1999
- Miami University, B.S., 1995
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Principal Practice Areas:
- Real Estate Development
- Construction Lending and Loan Documentation
- Commercial Litigation
- Banking and Creditor Rights
Mr. Faul focuses his practice in real estate, construction lending, loan documentation, commercial litigation, and banking and creditor’s rights. He regularly represents clients in a broad range of real estate transactions and commercial litigation matters, including real estate development and construction disputes, landlord tenant issues, contract and lease negotiations, loan documentation and enforcement, bankruptcy, eminent domain actions, land use issues, and oil and gas rights.
Mr. Faul also has eight years of corporate financial management experience. Prior to beginning his legal career, Mr. Faul served as a corporate finance manager for a Fortune 50 consumer products company, a global life sciences company, and an internet search company.
Mr. Faul’s representative experience:
- Successfully represented financial institutions and other lenders in negotiation, documentation, and closing of more than $160 million in construction loans and permanent credit facilities, often involving Tax Increment Financing, PIEA Bonds, and other incentive financing.
- Lead trial counsel for major banks, private lenders and special servicers in successful loan enforcement and foreclosure actions concerning more than $150 million in commercial property.
- Lead counsel for both sellers and buyers in commercial real estate transactions and loan sale agreements totaling more than $100 million.
- Successfully represented developer in real estate dispute and related litigation regarding ownership and $125 million redevelopment of historic office building.
- Regularly represent gas producers and pipeline owners in oil and gas leases, right of way agreements and land use disputes.
- Represented multinational and local oil and gas companies in more than 100 land use and eminent domain actions; successfully obtaining pipeline easements necessary for operation of pipelines.
- Obtained reversal of summary judgment from the Missouri Court of Appeals for lender in complex litigation involving failed bank, FDIC’s sale of participated loans and rights of lead lender. FH Partners, LLC v. Complete Home Concepts, Inc., 378 S.W.3d 387 (Mo.Ct. App. 2012)
- Successfully represented major banks against lender liability and bank fraud claims.
- Represented national data centers companies in lobbying efforts to change state tax laws for the benefit of data center owners and tenants
- State and federal commercial litigation experience in a variety of industries, including real estate, energy and construction
Honors and Awards:
- Centurions Leadership Program, Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, 2010 Graduate
- Boy Scouts of America – Cubmaster, Pack 4084/Eagle Scout