Mr. Freeman practices law with a strong desire to provide value added solutions by identifying clients’ needs and alternative cost effective solutions, whether litigating a $250 million corporate dispute, structuring and negotiating off shore, international and developing nation construction projects, negotiating payment on a $5,000 sub-contractor invoice, advising a family building its dream home or advising a business, church or family about the difficult choices life brings. Henry Ford once said, “Most people spend more time and energy trying to go around problems than trying to solve them.” Mr. Freeman brings his established litigation, construction, corporate and creditor’s rights background to every matter to find solutions as a trusted team member.
James practices in the areas of construction, land use, church, commercial litigation, insurance defense, business, contract, employment, probate litigation, and corporate law.
- Fennesy v. LBI Management, Inc., 18 Kan.App.2d 61, 847 P.2d 1350, Prod.Liab.Rep. (CCH) P 13,577 (1993)
- Martinez v. Krohne, 834 S.W.2d 262 (Mo.App.W.D.1992)
- Edmonds v. Lawrence Nat. Bank & Trust Co., N.A., 16 Kan.App.2d 331, 823 P.2d 219 (1991)
- Protection Sprinkler Co. v. Lou Charno Studio Inc., 888 S.W.2d 422 (Mo.App.W.D.1994)
- Service Drywall Supply, Inc. v. Sharp, 842 S.W.2d 564 (Mo.App.W.D.1992)
- In re: Farmland Industries Inc., 298 B.R. 382 (Bankr. W.D.Mo.2003)
- In re: Edmonds, 924 F.2d 176, Bankr.L.Rep. P 73, 793 (10th Cir.(Kan.)1991)
- In re: Edmonds, 110 B.R. 38 (D.Kan.1989)
- Stokers S.A. v. Morrison, 147 F.3d 759, 40 Fed.R.Serv.3d 1378 (8th Cir.(Mo.)1998)
- The Ex. Bd. of the Missouri Baptist Covention v. Matt Blunt, et al., 170 S.W.3d 437(Mo.App. W.D. 2005)
- Executive Bd. of Mo. Baptist Convention v. Windermere Baptist Conference Ctr., 280 S.W.3d 696 (Mo.App. 2009).
- Chapter 1, Formation, Mo. Contracts (MO Bar 2007)
- Purchasing Law, Lorman Education Services, Kansas City, February 10, 1999
- Purchasing Law in Missouri, Lorman Education Services, Kansas City, January 22, 2003
- The Anatomy of a Construction Contract, 2004, The Missouri Bar, Kansas City, June 4, 2004
- Missouri Construction Contracts for Professional Engineers, Kansas City, November 4, 2005
- The Fundamentals of Construction Contracts in Missouri; Kansas City, Missouri; April 21, 2006
- Construction Insurance, Bonding and Liens, Springfield, July 31, 2007
- The Fundamentals of Construction Contracts: Understanding the Issues, Kansas City, February 27, 2008.
- Building Codes, Kansas City, Missouri; August 28, 2008
- Building Codes, Missouri Department of Transportation, Columbia, Missouri, 2008
- Construction Project Management: Making Construction Laws Simple, Overland Park, Kansas, January 26, 2009
- Foreclosures and Mechanic’s Liens, 2009 Missouri Judicial College, October 13, 2009
- Legal Issues Affecting Churches and Pastors, Kansas City, November 6, 2009
- Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal wih the “Rambo” Litigator, Kansas City, April 27, 2011
- Law of Construction Defects and Failures, Overland Park, Kansas, October 3, 2012
- Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation, Kansas City, November 16, 2012
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers – Construction – Super Lawyer 2009-2012
- Boy Scouts of America: Assistant Scoutmaster – Troop 195; Grace United Methodist Church; District Committee Vice-Chairman of Finance and Programs, Assistant District Commissioner, Friends of Scouting Fundraising Chairman, Thunderbird District Heart of America Council, Silver Beaver – Heart of America Council.
- Instructor- Government Contract Law- U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth
- Lee’s Summit, Missouri City Council member: 1996-1998, 2000-2008; Mayor Pro Tem, 2006-2008; Chair of Public Works, Solid Waste and Community Development Committees; Member of the Finance and Personnel Committee, and of the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee; Council Liaison to Planning Commission; Youth Court and Public Safety Advisory Board-oversight of 500+ public employees and annual budgets in excess of $200 million.
- Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary- Trustee 2003-2011, Executive Board-1st Vice President, Business Services Committee, Chair
- Missouri Baptist Convention- Executive Board; Administrative Committee; Parliamentarian, Nominating Committee; Commitee on Continuing Review, Chair; Support Services, Chair
- Missouri Municipal League- Board of Directors, 2007-2008
- Lee’s Summit, Missouri City Charter Commission: Chairman of the Blue Ribbon Commission of leading Lee’s Summit citizens, which drafted the constitution for Lee’s Summit, which was overwhelmingly approved by voters.
- Lee’s Summit 360: Charting Tomorrow – Co-Chair; Transportation Group.
- Robert C. Welch Volunteer Attorney of the Year Award.